Reyes, Raul A. (2016) “‘Life changing’: Head start gives Latino migrant children early education,” NBCnews.com, 20 December.
Gutierrez, Katrina. (2017). “A Reading List: Books from the Philippines about the Philippine Diaspora – by Katrina Gutierrez,” 21 March.
EUobserver. (2016). “EU must do more to protect child migrants, NGOs say,” 30 November.
Date and Time
Sat 14 January 2017
12:30 – 17:00 GMT
SOAS, University of London
Parents, teachers, everyone: join the Against Borders for Children campaign in the New Year for our first ever conference!
We’ll be holding panel discussions and workshops on the following themes:
- The ABC campaign in context: the school census in a ‘hostile environment’. Real lives, young voices, and universal human rights.
- What we stand for: Hope beyond the headlines. Changing the narrative about migration and human rights in the classroom, in society, and in politics. What can we do?
- Where will your census data go on January 19th? What’s gone wrong for children’s privacy, what better data collection would look like, and what you can do about it
- Upcoming actions and setting up a local group
Organisations and initiatives speaking so far include:National Union of Teachers, Sin Fronteras, Jawaab, Let Us Learn, Liberty, Freed Voices, English PEN, National Union of Students, Latin American Women’s Rights Service,defenddigitalme, Southall Black Sisters, and Write to LIfe – Freedom from Torture. More to be confirmed.
- Registration will begin at 12:30pm for a 1pm start
- Children are welcome
- The venue is on the 1st floor and wheelchair accessible (lifts immediately on entrance)
- If you have any access requirements please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Full agenda and speakers to follow.
Migrants’ Rights Network. (2016). “Undocumented kids share their stories,” 17 November.